Monday, September 2, 2013

Absolute Insanity @ #BurningMan2013




When it comes to Burning Man, insanity means it really means it. I've been thinking about how I could describe the experience in Burning Man to others. I could say nothing but insane. It is as if you flip a coin, everything is flipped to opposite; normal becomes abnormal, real becomes unreal, and sane becomes insane. There is no single sober person in that city, everything you see is insane; art, architecture, food, drink, buses, everything.



It was my first trip to Burning Man, a week-long celebration of art, music and general mayhem. Burning Man participants share ten principles. I was amazed how well it was executed, applied to every corner in Black Rock City. We instantly faced welcomes from everyone in the city a second after we stepped in, and it took me while to adapt norm of radical self-expression.
 


In Black Rock City, we gift everything. Wake up in the morning, drop by a next door and grab a coffee, wander around the city with a mug, poured beer at a themed bar, exchange a costume. Everything happens without exchange of currency.

As an attempt of gifting, I volunteered as a temple guardian. It was freezing cold after midnight but worth an experience with other volunteers and shared one of the most memorable moments, seeing sunrise.



Wandering in a city myself one night, I felt I am still not a part of this big project yet. I am taking too much and not enough of gifting. This is something that I need to work on for a next visit, if that day ever comes again.

One of takeaways.
If you think you are crazy, you are probably not crazy enough.




here are few photos I took at Burning Man.










3 comments:

  1. that feeling of taking enough and not giving back enough is something I want to work for next year as well. Nowhere else have i ever felt that. Also, judging people. I never did that once in BRC...that was such a great feeling that I'm trying to adapt to my default world...great pics BTW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Duncan! I still feel that the time I was in Burning Man was out of ordinary. hard to imagine I was there this summer..

      Delete
  2. Thanks a lot for the awesome read!I know this is an older post, but great nonetheless.I'm not all that eager to poke my nose into other people's business, but you can always utilize edit-ing.services for any academic needs.

    ReplyDelete